Tuesday, 30 December 2014
Slain muslim cleric lived in fear - colleague
Mourners carrying the body of the late Shiekh Mustapha Bahiga soon after prayers at Kibuli Mosque. Photo by Roderick Ahimbazwe
SHEIKH Mustafa Bahiga had been living in fear for his life after fallout from the controversial William Street Mosque where a faction had appointed him the Kampala District Amir of the Jamiyati Dawa Asarafia, a Muslim Tabliq faction.
Bahiga was gunned down at about 8.00pm on Sunday while talking on phone in his car in front of Bwebajja Masjid Taqwa where he had gone for the evening Isha prayer.
Three of his sons, Fahima Bahiga (10), Abdul Rahuma Bahiga (12) and Mujahid Bahiga (14) who had travelled with him had only just exited the car to head to the mosque for prayers when the fatal shots were fired.
Sheikh Bahiga had been driving his car, a Toyota Noah, UAU 706U after attending Darasa (Muslim interactive classes) at Wandegeya Mosque.
Abdul Hamidu Mutebi, a colleague who is a member of the faction that supported Sheikh Bahiga said on several occasions the deceased had hinted that he feared for his life.
Mourners carrying the body of the late Shiekh Mustapha Bahiga, treasurer in the Supreme Mufti's office and Amir of Kampala, soon after prayers at Kibuli Mosque. Photo by Roderick Ahimbazwe
Inspector General of Police, Kale Kayihura and Shiek Obed Kamulegeya the prayers at Kibuli Mosque. Photo by Roderick Ahimbazwe
Prince Kassim Nakibinge breaks down after speaking during prayers for the late Sheikh Bahiga. Photo by Roderick Ahimbazwe
Mutebi attributed the killing on the current wrangling amongst leaders of the Tabliq sect where Bahiga had been elected as a leader.
Mutebi said those opposed to Bahiga's election hired mercenaries who took over the security of William Street Mosque, forcing him and several others to withdraw.
He said he was home near Bwebajja when he received a phone call that his colleague had been shot.
He said Sheikh Bahiga’s children informed their mother of the shooting and she rushed to Namulundu Medical Center where her husband, in critical condition, was receiving treatment for his injuries.
"We rushed him to Namulundu Medical Center but his condition worsened and they gave us an ambulance to rush him to Kibuli Hospital but he died at Namasuba”, he said.
Sheikh Zubair Kayongo flanked by Gen. Kale Kayihura, follows proceeding during the prayers at Kibuli Mosque. Photo by Eddie Ssejjoba
Mourners look on during prayers for Sheikh Bahiga at Kibuli Mosque. Photo by Eddie Ssejoba
Mourners were subjected to thorough checks before entering Kibuli Mosque for the prayers. Photo by Eddie Ssejjoba
Mutebi explained that at the medical centre, the deceased kept on muttering the name of one of the leaders he believed was behind his killing.
"He kept on repeating the name until he died," Mutebi who was following the ambulance in his car said.
One of Sheikh Bahiga's daughters, Hamida Akiiki said that her father had been complaining that he was being trailed for a while by unknown people and he believed it was related to his opposition to the sale of William Street Mosque.
She said the father had spent only two months in Bwebajja where he relocated after he was bought off by the management of Freedom City Shopping Mall along Entebbe Road.
The Inspector General of Police, Gen. Kale Kayihura rushed to Kibuli Mosque where the body had been taken and was locked in talks with Sheikh Zubair Kayongo and other leaders.
rosecution seeks life behind bars for Rwandan musician
Publish Date: Dec 30, 2014
Publish Date: Dec 30, 2014
Kizito Mihigo talks to the press in April. AFP Photo
Kizito Mihigo has been on trial along with three co-accused on charges including conspiracy to murder, complicity in a terrorist act and conspiring against the government of Rwandan President Paul Kagame.
In November he dismissed his defence lawyers, pleaded guilty and appealed for leniency -- although the trial had been hit by controversy with one of his co-accused alleging to have been the victim of torture.
His co-accused, demobilised soldier Jean Paul Dukuzumuremyi and Cassien Ntamuhanga, a journalist, as well as Agnes Niyibizi, all denied the charges.
"All the suspects committed the crimes of forming a criminal gang, conspiring against the established government of the president and complicity in a terrorist act," prosecutor Boniface Budengeri told a court hearing.
"Mihigo and Ntamuhanga particularly committed the crime of conspiracy to murder. Given that Mihigo and Ntamuhanga are accused of murder, a crime whose sentence amounts to a life, we therefore seek a life sentence for each of them," he added.
He also said Dukuzumuremyi should serve 50 years and Niyibizi 25 years in prison.
The court is due to deliver its verdict on February 27.
The arrest of the four, in April, came as Rwanda held commemorations to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide, but also amid mounting criticism of the alleged suppression of political dissents by President Kagame.
Police said the four planned attacks in revenge for the assassination of a former spy chief and fierce critic of Kagame, Patrick Karegeya, who lived in exile in South Africa and who was found strangled to death in a Johannesburg luxury hotel on New Year's Day.
Mihigo was accused of being "in charge of mobilising the youth" for the Rwanda National Congress (RNC), an opposition party in exile, as well as the FDLR, Rwandan Hutu rebels who include the perpetrators of the 1994 genocide in their ranks and who are based in the forests of neighbouring DR Congo.
Thursday, 25 December 2014
The madrasah started in April 2005. We have two madrasah for boys and girls.
- The weekday madrasah i.e Mon to Thu and
- The weekend madrasah i.e Sat and Sun
Contact: (T): 0208 5943100 or madrasah(at)alnoorcet.co.u
Alnoor Cultural & Educational Trust (ALNOORCET) established on 19th December 2004.
ALNOORCET is a non profit making organisation with charitable status (Charity No: 1118963) aiming to provide the local Muslim community in Barking and Dagenham with an Islamic Centre for Religious Worship, Islamic Education and Community Activities.
· To Provide a local Islamic centre for Islamic Education, Religious Worship and place for community activities.
· To Develop and provide Islamic educational services to local Muslim Community.
· Educate both Muslims and Non-Muslims in the local community.
· To Encourage positive interaction with local community at large.
· Work for the development of the local Muslim community.
· Promote greater understanding and awareness of Islam within the local community.At Alnoor madrasah, it is our objective to provide healthy and rewarding learning environment for Muslims students. The Madrasah is open Mon to Thu which is known as weekday Madrasah, and Sat and Sun which is known as weekend Madrasah.
Muslim children growing in the UK are facing diverse challenges and conflicting pressures at Madrasahs and in friend circles. They are constantly influenced by mainstream youth culture. It is difficult to isolate them from these influences and it is painful to let them sway into the mainstream. Excessive consumerism, peer pressure, media culture, Internet, and technology confuses the youngsters’ mind about their ideal objective in life. We admit parents are the main source to instil moral and values in their children. However, parents can do only so much. We admit madaris have a responsibility to instil Islamic ideologies in the youths. Again, madaris can do only so much. It is tough job to help them balance their Islamic identity with their ‘British’ identity.
Our request to the parents – please invest in your child. They are precious!
Saturday, 20 December 2014
AU Commission Chief of Staff inspires Youth Volunteers, calls for an African revolution in mindset
Debreizeit, ETHIOPIA - 12 December 2014 - Chief of Staff to the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, H.E. Jean-Baptiste NATAMA, made an impromptu visit to the Training of the fifth batch of African Union Youth Volunteers in Debreizeit, Ethiopia. Rounding up a two-week training at the Bonita Youth Development Training Center, the interaction with the new batch of young volunteers, left them highly motivated and inspired to go out and make a change, for the greater good of the continent.
“As youth, you must move away from the conventional “truth”, dare tell our African story, and take responsibility for your destiny and that of the continent. Africa must dominate the world and become the next frontier. You must make it happen.” Ambassador Natama told the youth who spared no opportunity to ask the tough questions regarding the plight of the continent’s youth.
H.E Natama told the youth that investing in them is a top priority of the AU Commission, and its Agenda 2063, as envisioned by the Chairperson of the AU Commission. He reminded the youth of the very important values of Pan-Africanism, Ubuntu, hard work and humility, essential in the rediscovery of the African identity and development of the continent as a whole.
Toby FAYOYIN, one of the 50 youth volunteer from Nigeria said the interactive session took him to a totally new level, crowning two exciting weeks of interactive learning. “After spending these two weeks with friends from 28 countries, the meaning of African integration came to life. The conversations with the Chief of Staff glued everything I learned.” He shared his excitement.
“Amb. Natama has encouraged us to be leaders in our own communities. He has inspired me and others to reflect the Pan African vision by leading to a change of mindset to ensure we are all winners in the new Africa” Refka DAHMENI from Tunisia said.
The training of AU Youth Volunteers prepares them for a one year placement in various organizations across the continent contributing to the achievement of the African Union vision of an integrated, prosperous Africa that is governed by its own citizens.
Further information on: www.africa-youth.org
Thursday, 18 December 2014
Mr Mubenga’s widow Adrienne
‘I Can’t Breathe.’ ‘You Are Killing Me.’
PROTEST THE RACIST NOT-GUILTY VERDICT FOR THE G4S GUARDS ON TRIAL FOR KILLING JIMMY MUBENGA
Thursday, 18 December 6.30pmHome Office, Marsham St. SW1P 4DF
On International Migrants Day join the Black Revs who have called this timely action in outrage at this gross injustice.
The All African Women’s Group and Women of Colour in the Global Women’s Strike will be there. We attended the trial of the G4S guards all the way through. We wanted to support Jimmy Mubenga’s wife and his five children, and to let everyone know that this Black man's life mattered.Like in the US, we are protesting against being killed with impunity by police, privatised police forces and other agents of the state. Our thoughts are with his family who have had to re-live the horrors committed against him, only for the killers to walk free.
Protesting the verdict, Mr Mubenga’s wife Adrienne wore a T-shirt saying “I can’t breathe.” We were completely devastated that the G4S guards were found not guilty. But we weren't surprised. From watching the trial we already knew. The judge emphasised to the jury (10 white people, and two people of colour, none African or of African descent, unbelievable in multi-cultural London!), not that Jimmy Mubenga had said he couldn't breathe and that they were killing him, but that the guards were saying he was resisting. It stank of racism to us.
From the beginning the intention was to protect G4S and to legalise any brutal, even lethal, treatment by those enforcing deportations – like the Nazis said at Nuremberg, they are “only doing their job”.
The CPS initially refused to prosecute. It took four years of pressure by the family and their supporters, and a verdict of “unlawful killing” at the inquest into Mr Mubenga’s death (2013), to get a trial.
The CPS reversed its decision in April 2014. We all expected they would sabotage the trial with a weak lack lustre prosecution. We called on people concerned with justice to be in the public gallery to support the family and show that Mr Mubenga’s life mattered.
What we witnessed was a catalogue of bias and racism that has been played out in other cases of death by police/private security. The judge was openly biased, many in the public gallery commented on it.
· The guards had shared racist texts, and the coroner’s report had highlighted serious concerns about “pervasive racism” among G4S guards involved in removals. But the jury was not allowed to know about the inquest, and the judge ruled the racist emails inadmissible as too “toxic” to the guards. If they had known a guilty verdict was more likely.
· Over 20 witnesses said they heard Mr Mubenga saying “I can’t breathe” or “They are killing me.” The guards claimed they hadn’t heard it, and their defence said deportees “always say that kind of thing”.
· Mr Mubenga head was repeatedly forced down to waist level, while he was hand-cuffed behind his back. He suffered double-fractured ribs, bruises, cuts – yet he, the victim, was blamed for resisting. He called out for help but didn’t get it.
· The guards claimed they had acted in self-defence, were “only doing their job”, “performing a public service”, and “protecting not only themselves, but property, and the victim himself.”
· The police helped G4S by delaying 24 hours before gathering witness statements from passengers, and took them down hastily as people re-boarded their flight the next day. So the statements were hurried, some witnesses said they didn’t have a translator to check what the police had written. Others said they’d been pressed by police to sign statements they didn’t agree with. Many gave longer statements later, only to have them rubbished in court by defence saying they had been influenced by news of Mr Mubenga’s death or their memory impaired by the passing of time. The judge echoed this by telling the jury not to let emotions get in the way.
· Hughes, the guard central to the racist texting who continued posting racist material on facebook even after Mr Mubenga’s death, told passengers “this flight is going ahead whatever happens”. He was on a retainer of £1,200 a month, butTribelnig and Kaler were on £6 an hour and according to Hughes would have earned a couple hundred pounds bounty for successful deportation. Since the trip to Angola would have been 31 hours, Hughes would have earned £450. Hughes said he was not bothered about money, but concerned that his mates Tribelnig and Kaler got paid. The coroner's report from the Inquest said: "Having a financial interest in getting the job done does give rise to real concerns that inappropriate methods might be used” and “dangerous practices” developed . . . with the specific purpose of ensuring that disruption by a deportee prior to take off does not prevent removal.” These findings were withheld from the jury.
· The set up in court reflected the power balance – three high-powered QCs (we understand paid for by G4S) each representing one of the guards, with junior barristers, against one prosecutor lacking in vigour or conviction.
· One defence barrister had the nerve to bring in the police killing of Eric Garner in New York, saying that the protests there were not calling for “lynching or locking up of the police but for a trial. We have that in this case.” What he didn’t say was that the way this trial was conducted facilitated a not guilty outcome – just like the trial ofTrayvon Martin’s killer in the US. This barrister has a record for defending asylum seekers – sadly, he used it to lend credibility to the claim that deportees are likely to “cry wolf” to stop flights going ahead.
Jimmy Mubenga had done nothing wrong. He was a father raising his family in London. He wanted to be here with his wife and children. He had a right to object to being deported. He had a right to resist being killed. He had a right to live.
What happened to Mr Mubenga can happen to any of us, especially if we are immigrants, asylum seekers, of colour, detainees or labelled as “criminal”. It has been happening to many people, women and men – during arrest, in custody, or even while on the tube as with Jean Charles de Menezes. The first person we know of to be killed during an attempted deportation was a woman, Joy Gardner, in 1993. Every time those responsible got away with it, whether there was a trial or not.
This verdict gives another green light to killing by the state, and to violence of all kinds. G4S has been awarded a contract to run healthcare in Yarl’s Wood Immigration and Removal Centre and SERCO’s contract to run Yarl’s Wood has just been renewed. This is despite reports of racism, rape and sexual assault by the guards and a medical nurse, and protests by women detainees, including hunger strikes. There was also a protest at the Home Affairs Select Committee which investigated the claims without hearing evidence from women in detention.
Uganda's General David Sejusa 'renounces violence'
Continue reading the main story
A renegade Ugandan general who returned to Kampala from exile on Sunday has agreed to renounce violence and abide by the law, the government has said.
David Sejusa had been living in the UK since 2013 after claiming that President Yoweri Museveni was grooming his son to be Uganda's next leader.
Mr Sejusa also claimed that anyone opposed to Mr Museveni's succession plan risked being killed.
The Ugandan government has repeatedly denied the existence of any such plan.
"He [Mr Sejusa] negotiated his return. The government facilitated him with a ticket. For now we consider him a free man as his cases are being looked into," said government spokesman Ofwono Opondo.Mounting criticism
The army has previously raised the prospect of prosecuting Mr Sejusa for treason but Mr Opondo said there were no current plans for an arrest.
There has been no immediate comment by Mr Sejusa, who has gone to his country home in central Uganda.
His return from exile came a day before Uganda's ruling party holds a conference during which Mr Museveni, 70, is expected to be named as its presidential candidate for the election in 2016.
Mr Sejusa had been viewed as a close ally of Mr Museveni until he went into exile.
He fought in the guerrilla conflict that brought the president to power in 1986.
However, he subsequently became critical of the rapid promotion within the army of Mr Museveni's son, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, who is now a brigadier-general in charge of special forces.
During his exile, Mr Sejusa spoke of Ugandans being "hostages" to a "family clique".
Unless there was significant change, "we shall have to force him [Mr Museveni] out", he told the BBC.
Analysts said the deal for Mr Sejusa's return may have been partly motivated by a wish on the part of the government to stop such a senior figure from joining the opposition.
Criticism of Mr Museveni's rule has mounted in recent years, with opponents accusing him of failing to curb corruption, suppressing dissent and monopolising power.