Wednesday, 18 July 2012
THE AFRICAN UNION HAS A NEW COMMISSION
Addis Ababa, 18th July 2012 – The Assembly of Heads of State and Government has elected the new Commission of the African Union. The election and confirmation was made at the Assembly’s 19th Ordinary Session held from 15-16 July at the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa.
The new Commission is composed as follows
- Chairperson: Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, Minister of Home Affairs of South Africa. She replaces outgoing Chairperson Dr Jean Ping, who held the position since 2008.
- Deputy-Chairperson: Mr. Erastus Mwencha. He was re-elected to the post which he first assumed in 2008.
- Commissioner for Peace and Security: Ambassador Ramtane Lamamra. He was retained in the post which he has held since 2008.
- Commissioner for Political Affairs: Mrs. Aïcha L. Abdullahi. She replaces Mrs Julia Dolly Joiner who completed two terms of four years each, as authorized by the rules of procedure of the Assembly
- Commissioner for Infrastructure and Energy: Dr. Mrs. Elham Mahmoud Ibrahim. She was retained in the post which she has held since 2008.
- Commissioner for Social Affairs: Dr Mustapha Sidiki Kaloko. He replaces Advocate Bience Gawanas who completed two terms of four years each as authorized by the rules of procedure of the Assembly
- Commissioner for Human Resources, Science and Technology. This election was postponed to the 20th AU Summit to be held in January 2013.
- Commissioner for Trade and Industry: Mrs. Fatima Haram Acyl. She replaces the late Mrs Elisabeth Tankeu, who was due to complete her second four year term, but who unfortunately passed away in October 2011
- Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture: Mrs. Tumusiime Rhoda Peace. She retained the post which she first held in 2008.
- Commissioner for Economic Affairs: This election was postponed to the 20th AU Summit to be held in January 2013.