Abuja Bus Station Bombing: Nigeria Confirms Arrest Of Abubakar Sadiq Ogwuche
The Federal Government of Nigeria on Wednesday evening confirmed the arrest of Abubakar Sadiq Ogwuche, one of the masterminds of the Nyanya bombing, in which 100 persons were killed and many others wounded, PR Nigeria reported.
On Monday, a sum of N25 million was placed on the head of Ogwuche and the main mastermind, Rufai Abubakar Tsiga. On Tuesday, International Police (Interpol) issued a warrant of arrest on the man, who was said to be hiding in Sudan.
During the Monday briefing by Directorate of State Service (DSS) spokesperson Marylyn Ogar, five suspects were paraded in connection with the incident. They include Ahmad Abubakar (aka Abu Ibrahim/Mai Turare), Mohammed Ishaq, Yau Saidu (aka Kotar Rama) Anas Isah and Adamu Yusuf and all confessed to being privy to the plot to bomb Nyanya.
At the daily briefing of the National Information Centre on Wednesday however, the Director General of National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mr. Mike Omeri, announced that Ogwuche had been arrested in Sudan and is awaiting extradition home to face charges.
The arrest was through the collaborative efforts of Interpol, DSS, Nigeria Police and the Military Attaché to the Nigerian High Commission in Sudan.
Ogwuche, who is a student of Arabic Language at the International University of Africa, Sudan, is a British born Nigerian who deserted the Army in 2006. His service number was SVC 95/104.
He served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army at Child Avenue, Arakan Barracks, Lagos, between 2001 and 2006.
He was allegedly involved in terrorist activities, leading to his arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on Nov. 12, 2011, on arrival from the UK.
However, he was released on bail to his father, retired Col. Agene Ogwuche on Oct. 15, 2012, following intense pressure from activists who alleged human rights violations.
Responding to a question today, Ogar said, “We should be happy that wherever a criminal is hiding, he will be fished out. Even if Nigerians would hide him others will fish him out. These terrorists live in our midst and we know them. The world is a small place now.”
About the abducted Chibok girls, Omeri disclosed that international operations to rescue the girls have entered a full swing, but he did not give details.
He refuted insinuations that academic activities in the North Eastern parts of Nigeria have been completely paralysed, and explained that schools in dangerous areas were shut while the pupils were merged with other schools with adequate security provided.
On the inability of government to rescue the girls after one month in captivity, Omeri said it was not a peculiar situation.
“When Americans were held hostage in Iraq, even though America knew where they were being kept, it took 200 days for them to be rescued. We do not even know where these girls are. We will rescue the girls but it will not take 200 days”, he assured.